Tourism, Information: Tourism, Deatils: Blue and yellow wave with logo of Hanseatic City Rostock
search

City hall

The city hall was built between 1270 and 1290 as a two floor double-gabled house with a vaulted cellar, which was also used as a market in the Middle Ages. The town hall has been the headquarters of the municipal authorities since the 13th century and unites various elements of style. As well as the Gothic façade with seven towers, a baroque porch was added at the start of the 18th century. Worth seeing are the vaulted cellar and the entrance hall.

Arrival: station "Neuer Markt" reachable by the tramway 1, 2, 5, 6.


City harbour

Rostock´s city harbour stretches along the western bank of the Warnow from the huge warehouses to Kabutzenhof. It was here that Rostock´s entire sea-trade was concentrated until the opening of the port in 1960. Since 1991 the city harbour has become a popular place for walks with restaurants, theatres and shopping facilities, as well as a traditional ship and yacht harbour. Every August it is the venue for Hanse Sail Rostock.

Arrival: station "Lange Straße" reachable by the tramway 1, 2, 5, 6.


City wall

Large sections of Rostock´s city defences, which once surrounded the medieval city, are still preserved today. The city wall, gates, towers, watch houses and ramparts, including the "Kuhtor", the oldest town gate in Mecklenburg (first mentioned in documents in 1262), were built in the second half of the 13th century. The longest section of the city wall, at 450 metres, stretches from the Kröpeliner Tor to Schwaansche Strasse, which has again been optically linked with the city wall at the Steintor by modern steles. The only beach gate preserved is the classicist Mönchentor.

Arrival: station "Steintor" reachable by the tramway 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and by the bus number 22, 23.


House of the estates (Ständehaus)

The impressive building in historicist style was built around 1890 from plans of the grand-ducal architect Möckel and today houses the provincial high court and court of appeal. The redbrick building was the seat of the parliament for the influential Mecklenburg provincial States, which included nobility and towns in its ranks.

Arrival: station "Steintor" reachable by the tramway 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and by the bus number 22, 23.


House tree house

The late Gothic gabled house, built around 1490 is one of Rostock´s oldest preserved merchant houses from the hanseatic period. Significant elements of the original are preserved, and it is the only house tree house (Hausbaumhaus) that can also be experienced from inside. In structure, the wooden construction with an oak trunk as the centrepiece resembles a tree. The house tree rests on a boulder in the cellar and supports the well preserved wooden beam ceiling and the first loft floor.

Wokrenterstrasse 40, 18055 Rostock
Tel. +49 (0)381 458 21 42

Opening hours: Mon.-Fri. 10-12 am and 1-4 pm

Admission: free

Arrival: station "Lange Straße" reachable by the tramway 1, 2, 5, 6.


 Rostock direct

| back | top |
| print page |